Sunday 19 April 2009

Musical Theater in London

As I walked into the Apollo Victoria Theater my eyes lit up with anticipation. I was going to see my first ever professional musical, Wicked. I was impressed with the grand interior of the building; it was unlike any venue I had been in before. The carpets, staircases, and ceilings all reminded me of an old-timey ritzy theater out of a movie. I saw words around me like ‘stalls’ and ‘grand circle’; I was sure that these were seating areas, but I had no clue as to wear they were located or which one I was sitting in. I asked an attendant where to go and was led up to the very top of the grand circle (my 20 pound ticket did not get me a very good seat). Even though I used binoculars, I was stunned by the enormous theater and the intricate set (especially the very large dragon above the stage). As the first number started, I knew I was hooked. The play proceeded, gave me chills and made me cry. I fell in love with musical theater and while Wicked has been the first and best show I’ve seen, it certainly wasn’t my last.
The modern musical started in Europe in the 1700’s, but has taken off in the twentieth century. Vaudeville and Burlesque shows (such as Chicago) became popular in the early 1900’s. These declined after the First World War and replaced by Revue. This type of musical was a show built around a star performer, and was very popular in between the wars. Pantomime and Music Hall were other types of musical popular in the 20th century. The first modern musical shown in England was Chu Chin Chow. It went on in 1916, and was an operetta. Since then musicals have evolved through the compositions of Andrew Lloyd Webber and Sondhiem and the productions by Cameron Mackintosh.
Since Wicked I have seen several other musicals such as Sunset Boulevard, Chicago, We Will Rock You, Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera, and Spring Awakening. Sunset Boulevard was a unique experience firstly because it was written by Andrew Lloyd Weber, a native British composer, and secondly because the actors not only sang, danced, and spoke but they also played the entire score without a sheet of music. We Will Rock You was also a different experience because the play was based around the British rock legend Queen. Les Miserables is a classic, and therefore amazing. The way the entire script was sung required a lot of talent which was fulfilled by able actors. My second favorite behind Wicked is taken by the new hit musical Spring Awakening. Going into this performance I was a little wary due to bad reviews from American high school theater teachers; however, by the end of the first song I realized that even theater teachers can not be trusted. I enjoyed Spring Awakening immensely because of its unique choreography, modern music, and meaningful plot. I can understand that my taking to this show may be influenced by my age. If I were over thirty and not as liberal minded, the show would certainly have had a different effect on me. However, regardless of age I feel that the shoe was filled with talent, in the actors, director, choreographer, composer, and writer, and that they deserve a lot of applause.
Back home on the weekend I might go to see a movie or a school play every once in a while; Being in London has opened up a new world to me where I can go to the theater every week! It has been explained to me that theater in England is different than the same in America because back home, going to the theater is an event. I have seen this to be true as in London people might go see a show twice a month, and not bother to dress up a bit. For the British theater is and has been for more than a century, a part of every day life and culture. I find this way of life fascinating, and hope that my experiences with musicals here in London impact my attendance of shows in America. It will be challenging because in my town, musicals are much less accessible; hopefully I can find a way to enjoy my new found love. If not, I guess I will just have to come back to London soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment